It’s Rock Star Spotlight Day here again at The House That Stamps Built. It’s always so much fun to learn a little bit about the women behind the art. This week we’re shining the spotlight on Cheri Weston. Here are Cheri’s responses to our game of 20 questions…
1. Tell us a little about your family. My husband, Carl and I live in West Gardiner, ME on farmland once owned by his grandparents, with our calico kitty we call Bobbi (she was born with a bobbed tail) and a German Shepherd puppy we call Allie. We have two adorable grandchildren who live in the Adirondacks of New York State, Philip is 5 and Alexa is 4.
2. How did you get into stamping? It was five years ago, when I offered to make baby shower invitations for my daughter-in-law’s baby shower. Without my knowing how it happened it morphed from a hobby into a lifestyle….I can’t go a day without crafting something.
3. What is your favorite technique? I love to try all techniques, but I especially love those using inks and heat embossing.
4. What is your favorite tool? I couldn’t live without my Score Buddy, my punches, my embossing folders, my dies….these are all my favorites.
5. What are your favorite embellishments? The simple ones like ribbons and buttons.
6. What is your favorite coloring method? I love coloring with Copic Markers.
7. What is your favorite color combo? I like the combination of Black/White/Red, it’s a no fail classic combination and can be used with over 50% of my stamps.
8. If you had to describe your stamping style with 3 words, what would they be? Clean and Simple. I struggled with this for so long, but once I caught on I find I’m really comfortable with it and now struggle with layering.
9. Do you always send the cards you create? No, I don’t! Unless I make a card with someone special in mind or for Repeat Impressions Show Boards….I keep my cards. When I’m over loaded with cards, I select a bunch to send to Operation Write Home or put together gift packs for special gifts.
10. For which occasion or holiday do you create the most cards? Hands down, Christmas. I love making Christmas cards.
11. What is your favorite stamping magazine? Paper Crafts and Paper Creations.
12. What are your favorite Repeat Impressions’ designs? I love the Christmas and Holiday stamps. They are some of the best I’ve seen.
13. What are your other interests besides stamping? Reading, gardening, walking, hiking, kayaking, target shooting, waterskiing, playing ice hockey.
14. Name your favorite food and one food you can’t stand. I don’t think I have a favorite food, but I for sure, I don’t like fish.
15. What is your guilty pleasure? Red wine. I love a nice glass of red wine…okay, two glasses of nice red wine.
16. Do you have any pet peeves? Yes. I have no patients with people who blame others for their own problems.
17. Tell us one random thing people may not know about you. I once worked for the FBI.
18. Name 3 things on your “bucket list”. I don’t really have a “bucket list” but I would love to sky dive, visit these countries: Australia, New Zealand, Iceland and Scotland and hike a portion (I’m a realist) of the Appalachian Trail.
19. If you were going to be stuck on a deserted island, which 5 books, 5 movies, 5 people and 5 foods would you take along?
• 5 books: Gone With The Wind, Celia Garth (or any book by Gwen Bristow), Far From the Madding Crowd, Return of the Native, A Walk in the Woods.
• 5 Movies: Gone With the Wind, The King’s Speech, Dirty Dancing, Sweet Home Alabama, Sleepless in Seattle.
• 5 people: My husband, son, daughter-in-law and both grandchildren.
• 5 Foods: Tacos (anything Mexican), potato salad, broccoli, Swiss cheese and chocolate brownies with walnuts.
20. If you have to choose a movie title for your life story, what would that be? “Sleepless in West Gardiner”.
Thank you, Cheri, for sharing your responses here with us. It was fun learning a little more about you! And I know you’ll all want to keep up with Cheri’s latest creations too so be sure to visit her blog, Stamp’n Boomer.
And before I sign off… a friendly reminder. If you haven’t created a card for our latest Sketch Challenge yet, we sure hope you will soon! Submissions are being accepted until Tuesday, May 28. Please refer to my WHAT IF? Wednesday ~ Sketch Challenge M1513 post for all the details. Play along with our sketch, upload a link to your card here on the RI blog and you’ll automatically be entered to win a $25 Repeat Impressions gift certificate!
Happy Friday everyone and thank you for stopping by.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Surprise! Today we have a special Tuesday post announcement to share with you… We have a new Rock Star in our midst! Woohoo!! Please help us in welcoming Cheri Weston to the Repeat Impressions design team.
Although we have yet to meet in person, Cheri and I have been having fun getting to know each other via email for the last couple of weeks. It is interesting that our paths hadn’t crossed until now. As it turns out, we have a few stamping friends in common and we live less than an hour apart. How cool is that?! Cheri also happens to be on another DT with two of our current Rock Stars. It surely is a small world!
I asked Cheri to tell us a little about herself and this is what she had to say…
“I am grandmother to Philip 4 and Alexa 3 and I live in Central Maine. I was originally born and raised in the Adirondacks of New York State where I learned many crafts from my mother and grandmothers. I work part-time as a secretary for the local school district and fill in my non-work time with rubber stamps and paper.
While I’ve played with crafts all my life, I’ve never found one that has become such a passion as rubber stamping and paper crafts. I began this craft 4 years ago, when I thought I would like to make baby shower cards for my daughter-in-law’s baby shower. What a beginning!!! I made 50 invitations, and had a blast doing it and became totally hooked. After that I decided to take some classes in card making techniques at my local stamp store and the rest is history. I continue to develop my skill and feed my passion.
I am so thrilled to be selected as a DT member for Repeat Impressions. It is truly an honor to have the opportunity to represent a Maine rubber stamp company.”
Here is a sneak peek at one of Cheri’s creations… Check out this fabulous card she recently submitted for one of our Sketch Challenges. This card features our ever popular #708-K Rebecca stamp.
To learn more about Cheri and her stamping adventures please visit her blog, Stamp’n Boomer.
Welcome aboard Cheri! Myself and your fellow Rock Stars are so excited to have you join us. And I’m sure our readers can’t wait to see all great things you’ll be creating for us in the coming weeks. Luckily we only have to wait until tomorrow!
Have a great day everyone! Thanks so much for dropping by. I’ll be back tomorrow with Cheri and the rest of the gang to kick off a new Sketch Challenge. Please don’t forget to leave our newest Rock Star a little love here on your way out!