Woohoo! After a really long hiatus, it’s Rock Star Spotlight Day here again at The House That Stamps Built. Over the years this little game of 20 questions has proved to be a fun way to get to know the artists behind the cards we’ve been sharing. This week we’re shining the spotlight on Karen Hasheck.
1. Tell us a little about your family. I am very happily married to a retired school teacher. We have two grown children: Brian, who lives in Chicago with his wife Kristy and their dog Ludo. He loves working at a large downtown accounting firm. My daughter Marie lives in Appleton, WI with her son Nate who is 6 years old and the apple of Grandma’s eye!
2. How did you get into stamping? 14 years ago I was introduced to a SU demo who was a good teacher and I was hooked immediately. My first project was my “baby’s” high school graduation announcement and when he moved out to college, stamping took over my life and my extra bedroom became my craft room.
3. What is your favorite technique? Dry embossing with embossing folders
4. What is your favorite tool? Big Shot (I use it everyday both embossing and cutting die cuts especially Nestabilities)
5. What are your favorite embellishments? Pearls and colored gems
6. What is your favorite coloring method? Paper piecing – I love to “color” by picking a fun dp and cutting and piecing on the stamped image and I do it all the time.
7. What is your favorite color combo? Well my favorite color is green and I do reach for greens, yellows and browns alot, but I have lots of other favorite combos too… recently I discovered kraft and cream (off white) and love that combo.
8. If you had to describe your stamping style with 3 words, what would they be? CAS+ – I have to add a Plus to Clean and Simple – I love an unique fold or something fun and different to make my CAS cards pop.
9. Do you always send the cards you create? I send alot but I give many as gifts and donate even more.
10. For which occasion or holiday do you create the most cards? Has to be Christmas.
11. What is your favorite stamping magazine? Just Cards
12. What are your favorite Repeat Impressions’ designs? Rebecca and Belle
13. What are your other interests besides stamping? Scrapbooking, Pinterest, reading mysteries
14. Name your favorite food and one food you can’t stand. Love cheeseburgers, hate lima beans.
15. What is your guilty pleasure? Shopping online (for more stamps, diecuts, embossing folders, etc., etc.)
16. Do you have any pet peeves? People who don’t respond to emails.
17. Tell us one random thing people may not know about you. I am a huge Green Bay Packer fan.
18. Name 3 things on your “bucket list”. Visit Hawaii, Europe and take another cruise.
19. If you have to choose a movie title for your life story, what would that be? It’s A Wonderful Life (especially now that I am retired
Thank you, Karen, for sharing your responses here with us. It was fun learning a little more about you! And I know you’ll all want to keep up with Karen’s latest creations too so be sure to visit her blog, Karen’s Kreative Kards. While you’re there don’t forget to leave her some love. Karen has a birthday coming up this Sunday too!
And before I sign off… a friendly reminder. If you haven’t created a card for our latest Sketch Challenge yet, we sure hope you will soon! Submissions are being accepted until Tuesday, April 2. Please refer to my WHAT IF? Wednesday ~ Sketch Challenge M2013 post for all the details. Play along with our sketch, upload a link to your card here on the RI blog and you’ll automatically be entered to win a $25 Repeat Impressions gift certificate!
Happy Friday everyone and thank you for stopping by.
Have a wonderful weekend!
After much deliberation we have finally selected a new Rock Star for our Design Team! But before we make the introduction, we first want to extend a big thank you to all those who applied. We saw some wonderful card samples in our in box… it wasn’t easy narrowing them down to just one!!
And now please join us in welcoming our newest Rock Star, Karen Hasheck.
I asked Karen to tell us a little about herself and this is what she had to say…
“I have been stamping and creating cards for a little over 10 years now and I can’t believe the fun I have had and the great friends I have made since discovering this awesome hobby. I am totally addicted and each day I enjoy it more. So many new ideas, stamps and products to try and never enough time!
I have been honored to have many cards published in stamping magazines, but blogging is a new adventure for me. I recently quit a high stress full time job and am currently staying at home and loving all the time I have for stamping and scrapping!
I have a loving husband who is enjoying retirement and is somewhat tolerant of my addiction; two adult children I am very proud of who also live in the Midwest with their better halves; and one adorable grandson who is the light of my life! He is the only reason I got into scrapbooking and I will share some pages from time to time.”
A funny twist… As it turns out, when I was contacting Karen about joining the Design Team she was preparing to upload a card to our blog for our current Sketch Challenge. Imagine her surprise when I told her that she had lost the opportunity to win our Gift Certificate, but had won a Rock Star position instead!
Some of Karen’s work may be familiar to you as she has been participating quite regularly in many of our challenges. She was also a recent winner and selected a sheet of our humorous verses from our Funny Bones collection as her prize. Shown below is a sampling of how she put some of them to good use.
And here is the card Karen was submitting for our J26 Sketch Challenge.
And let this also serve as a reminder that this latest Sketch Challenge wraps up today at 5PM EST so if you haven’t uploaded your card yet then don’t delay. Follow this link to my J26 Sketch Challenge post for all the details and your chance to win a $25 Repeat Impressions Gift Certificate!
Thank you so much for dropping by today. I hope you’ll join us once more tomorrow when we kick off a new Sketch Challenge!