Today I’m excited to bring you our first Rock Star Spotlight post! The Rock Stars are all eager to get to know each other a bit better and we thought we’d share the fun with you. Over the last few weeks you’ve seen how talented these women are, but starting today we’re going to get a glimpse into the person behind the art. We’ll be spotlighting a Rock Star on the alternate Wednesdays when we’re not introducing a new sketch challenge.
Unbeknownst to her, (until now!) Joy Hadden is in our Spotlight this week. Somebody had to be first after all and I really enjoyed her responses to my questionnaire! What better way to learn more about our Design Team members than to play a game of 20 questions. So here we go… some questions about stamping and some random stuff just for the fun of it!
1. Tell us a little about your family. I have been married 40 years to my high school sweetheart. We have raised 3 wonderful girls who married 3 of the best men in Texas! God has given us 6 super grandkids.
2. How did you get into stamping? My best friend – my sister got me started stamping and scrapbooking.
3. What is your favorite technique? My favorite technique is heat embossing. I use it with every sentiment and any stamp I plan to color with Copic Markers.
4. What is your favorite tool? My favorite tool is a Stamp A Ma Jig. My first one I made from Leggos! Haaa, I’ve come a long way since then.
5. What are your favorite embellishments? Vintage Ribbon that I find at antique markets is my favorite embellishment!
6. What is your favorite coloring method? I chose Copic markers over pencils for coloring.
7. What is your favorite color combo? Anything with pink is my favorite color combination.
8. If you had to describe your stamping style with 3 words, what would they be? If I’m making something personally, not needing to use a company’s stamps or paper I think my style would be described as soft, feminine and vintage.
9. Do you always send the cards you create? I don’t always send the cards I create. A couple of times a year I send a shoebox full of my cards to Cards for Soldiers.
10. For which occasion or holiday do you create the most cards? Christmas is the time of year I make most of my cards and projects.
11. What is your favorite stamping magazine? I love reading/browsing the magazine “Cards”. I’ve saved all my issues and get inspiration from them.
12. What are your favorite Repeat Impressions’ designs? My favorite RI designs are the lighthouses – most are actual lighthouses our family has visited. These stamps bring back wonderful memories of happy days spent in Maine with my family.
13. What are your other interests besides stamping? My second love is jewelry designing. I have a studio where I take vintage jewelry and make charm bracelets. I love taking the lost and forgotten stuff at the bottom of a jewelry box and make a bracelet. Sometimes my clients will bring me a beautiful single earring (they’ve lost the mate) and I’ll design a bracelet around that.
14. Name your favorite food and one food you can’t stand. I never met a food I didn’t like – I even like brussel sprouts.
15. What is your guilty pleasure? My guilty pleasure is sleeping late!
16. Do you have any pet peeves? A pet peeve of mine is ungrateful people.
17. Tell us one random thing people may not know about you. One random thing about me is that I scored very high during my concealed handgun license class.
18. Name 3 things on your “bucket list”. There are 3 special things on my bucket list. One is to visit Ireland, finish remodeling our vacation house and an Alaskan Cruise with all my family.
19. If you were going to be stuck on a deserted island, which 5 books, movies, people and foods would you take along?
Stranded on a deserted island I would take these books: my Bible, a good hymnal, Wuthering Heights by E. Bronte, Why Courage Matters by McCain, and Courage and Consequence because it is a frank account of what Carl Rove witnessed during the Bush years, I’ve started it but not finished.
I love, love old movies so on a deserted island I’d take: Penny Serenade (Irene Dunne), Now Voyager (Betty Davis), Babes on Broadway (Busby Berkley happy sing along movie), Shall We Dance (Ginger Rogers/Fred Astaire), and From Here to Eternity (Donna Reed, Frank Sinatra).
The people I’d take are: my sister – she is SO much fun, my husband – he is so smart, Ronald Reagan – he is so wise and optimistic, Steve Martin – he is so funny, and Laura Bush – she is so sophisticated and calm.
We would eat: Lobster, White bread, Chess Pie, DIET PEPSI! and Chicken Soup.
20. If you have to choose a movie title for your life story, what would that be? A movie title for my life would be “The More the Merrier” (classic with Jean Arthur). The more family, the more friends, the more stamping, the more food the merrier we all would be!!!
Thank you, Joy, for sharing your responses here with us! I think I can speak for everyone when I say it’s been a real pleasure getting to know you better. I know you’ll want to keep up with Joy’s latest creations so be sure to visit her blog, Pieces of Joy Hadden and don’t forget to leave her some love too!
Happy Hump Day everyone and thank you for stopping by today!
P.S. If you haven’t created a card for our Sketch Challenge yet, we hope you will soon. Submissions are being accepted until next Tuesday, 5/18.