After a brief hiatus we’re getting back to our Rock Star Spotlight series! This week we’re shining the spotlight on Ayana Posadas. Back in June I had the great pleasure of meeting Ayana at the Stampfest show in Orlando. Not only is she a wonderfully talented stamper, she is a super sweet person too!
1. Tell us a little about your family. I have two wonderful parents who have been married for over twenty-five years. My mother is from Colombia, and my father is from Guatemala. I also have two siblings. My brother is twenty-four, and my sister just turned seventeen. I am the oldest.
2. How did you get into stamping? I have only been stamping for about two years, maybe less. But I used to scrapbook a lot, for several years. I was first introduced to stamping from my friend’s mom. She exposed me to the company of Stampin’ Up, and I was hooked ever since!
3. What is your favorite technique? Well that always seems to be changing. But right now I am really into masking. I love how you can achieve the look of dimension on a single-layer card, simply by just making a mask and stamping over it.
4. What is your favorite tool? I would say that my favorite tools are my border punches. They come in so many different designs, and they are so fun to use. I think sometimes adding a simple border punch to a card can turn a “good” card into a “great card”. I absolutely love using them!
5. What are your favorite embellishments? Hmmm…. Well that is also something that is constantly changing in my mind. But if I had to pick one right now, then I would say that I really love “twine” lately! However, pearls and ribbon are not too far behind!
6. What is your favorite coloring method? It used to be colored pencils & gamsol. But lately it has changed to Copics! I recently took a class on these fabulous markers not too long ago, and let’s just say it’s definitely my “new addiction”!
7. What is your favorite color combo? Well I don’t have just one, but I always like to mix neutral colors with a bright, vibrant color. For instance: black & hot pink, brown & turquoise, or kraft & red. I think having a neutral base color can make colors pop and stand out in such a fabulous way!
8. If you had to describe your stamping style with 3 words, what would they be? Oh my! I’m still not really sure what my “style” is…. But I guess if I had to choose three words, they would probably be: “Colorful, Fun, & Girly”!
9. Do you always send the cards you create? This is a little embarrassing to admit, but I actually don’t send very many cards out at all. I need to start though! I have only been stamping for a little less than two years, so the only major holiday that I sent cards out for was for Christmas, last year.
10. For which occasion or holiday do you create the most cards? I just went and scrolled through my blog before answering this question. To be honest, many of the cards I make are simply “Just Because” cards or random cards. Many times my cards don’t even have a sentiment on them, so you can use them for almost anything. But if I had to choose which time of year I gravitate more towards, when it comes to card-making, then I would choose fall and winter holidays, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas, etc.
11. What is your favorite stamping magazine? This may sound weird, but I have actually never purchased a stamping magazine. I just recently became familiar with the popular ones, when I started blogging, because I would constantly read about them online. But I have yet to physically hold an actual issue in my hands. However, I have been meaning to go out and buy one, so by the time this interview goes live, my answer to this question will most likely have changed.
12. What are your favorite Repeat Impressions’ designs? I love many of the trees and flowers. Repeat Impressions has lots of great nature images! But just recently, my newest favorite just became the “Vase of Tulips”….. LOVE it! =)
13. What are your other interests besides stamping? When I have the “time”, I really enjoy reading, cooking, and watching movies. I also really love to shop! And I absolutely LOVE to travel!!!!
14. Name your favorite food and one food you can’t stand. I have way too many favorites! I Love to Eat! Seafood is one of my main types of food that I love most. But one thing that I just don’t care for at all is: “ham”. Yuck!
15. What is your guilty pleasure? Shopping!…. I love to shop! However often times, I shop way more than I need to. It can get pretty “dangerous” sometimes! lol
16. Do you have any pet peeves? I can be pretty picky about grammar sometimes. For some reason, it really bothers me when people mix up words like “your & you’re” or “there, their, & they’re”. I’m constantly correcting my friends whenever I hear or read mistakes. Haha… I’m sure I can get pretty annoying sometimes, but proper grammar is important to me. =)
17. Tell us one random thing people may not know about you. I hate feet! They gross me out! lol
18. Name 3 things on your “bucket list”.
1) Cut my hair short…. (I’m still too scared!) lol
2) Skydiving…. (This used to be very high on my list, but the older I get, the more nervous I get… So whoo knows if I’ll ever do it).
3) Travel to more places that I haven’t already been to yet!….. (I’ve been to China, Colombia, Mexico, Belize, Panama, Guatemala, France, Portugal, Spain, Germany, & Amsterdam)…. My goal is to be able to visit each of the seven continents one day.
19. If you were going to be stuck on a deserted island, which 5 books, movies, people and foods would you take along?
Books: I would bring all of the five books currently written by Emily Giffin. I am currently in the process of reading her collection right now. So far, I really love her stories.
Movies: I would bring: Life is Beautiful, Pursuit of Happiness, The Pianist, Forrest Gump, and Beauty & the Beast. =)
People: My boyfriend, my sister, my brother, and my parents.
Foods: Since I can only pick five, then I would say: Cheese, Shrimp, Steak, Oranges, and Ice Cream.
20. If you have to choose a movie title for your life story, what would that be? Well, despite that I’m Hispanic, my name is originally from Africa, and its meaning is “beautiful flower”. So I guess if I had to choose a movie title for my life, then I would call it “A Beautiful Flower”. =)
Thank you, Ayana, for sharing your responses here with us! It’s been a lot of fun getting to know you a little better. I know everyone will want to keep up with Ayana’s latest work so be sure to visit her blog, Ayana’s Creations and don’t forget to leave her some love too!
Thank you so much for stopping by today! Have a happy Wednesday!!
P.S. If you haven’t created a card for our latest Sketch Challenge yet, we hope you will soon. Submissions are being accepted until next Tuesday, 9/7.