Happy Monday, everyone! As I mentioned last week, we’re taking a break from our usual projects and challenges this month to bring back our Rock Star Spotlight series. This little game of questions has proved to be a fun way to get to know the artists behind the cards we’ve been sharing. So each Monday and Wednesday throughout December we’ll be featuring a different Rock Star and showing off some of their latest creations too.
We hope you will visit often and leave each of these talented ladies a little love in the comments. And to make it even more fun for you, we’ll be awarding a $25 Repeat Impressions gift certificate to one lucky commenter. Every comment earns you another chance to win. So visit and comment often. We’ll use random.org to choose a winner and make the announcement the first Monday of next month.
Today we’re shining the spotlight on RI Rock Star, Patti J. Gilliam.
Creations by Patti J. Gilliam.
Visit Patti J’s blog.
1. Tell us a little about your family.
I married my handsome man, Stan, nearly 44 years ago! We are still best friends, and forever soulmates. He is my #1 fan, and supports me in my every endeavor. We have two wonderful grown children, and have been blessed with a daughter-in-law, and son-in-law that we love like our own. In the past three years, we’ve been lucky enough to become grandparents to three amazing grandchildren! Our son and his family live in NM, and our daughter and her family live in VA., so we keep the highways and runways heated up with our ‘need’ to travel to the NE or SW (we live in MO., which is almost exactly the same mileage either direction). We have 20 paws that belong to our fluffy, furry grand-doggies, and 4 paws that belong to our own little hairy beast, Sophie.
2. How did you get into stamping?
I was experiencing Empty Nest, so I signed up for a card making class at a local store. A week later, I borrowed an item from the teacher, and the rest is history. I became a total stamping addict, and my teacher, Shirley, became my best friend. What fun that we are now both designing for Repeat Impressions!!!
3. What is your favorite holiday or occasion to create cards for?
Christmas! The possibilities are endless – soft and glittery snowy scenes, to red and green Santa’s and trees!
4. What is your favorite stamping style or technique?
My favorite style is clean and simple. My favorite technique is coloring – it’s so therapeutic and relaxing!
5. What is your favorite color combo and coloring method?
I love to see red, turquoise, black and white on a project – so classy and fun. Alcohol markers are my favorite coloring method – I use both Copic and Spectrum Noir markers.
6. Aside from the usual necessities, what one crafting tool could you not go a day without?
My MISTI! I waited a long time to get one. I was sure that it was just another ‘thing’ that I’d buy, and stash. However, unless I’m using a wood mounted stamp, I use my MISTI tool with every single project I create. (It’s all Shirley’s fault…she wanted one, so we ordered together to save postage!).
7. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
I guess I’m both. I don’t sleep much, so you may find me on the computer at midnight, and again at 4 a.m.! When do you do most of your stamping? I always tell myself that I’ll do my ‘chores’ first, and craft as a reward for getting things done, but usually, I craft in the mornings, and speed through my chores in the afternoon, just in time for my Mr. to come home!
8. Tell us a little about your craft room/stamping space. And are you neat and organized or creatively messy?
I can WISH I was neat and tidy, right? Seriously, we have an undersized garage that we finished into what I call the CRoffice. I have part for my craft room, and my handsome man has part for his office. My part keeps edging him a bit further into the corner, but I try really hard to play nice and share. I am totally, 100% creatively messy!
9. What has been your biggest stamping challenge?
Shaking my head left to right…telling myself NO! I think I ‘need’ every new gadget that comes out. I’ve finally learned to tell the difference between what is needed and what is wanted.
10. What’s the best stamping related gift you ever received?
Hands down, my Copic markers. My handsome man bought me a huge bundle that a lady had purchased. She joined Stampin’ Up, and had to use their markers, so she sold the lot for $300.00. He insisted I get them, and I use them daily.
11. If money were no object, what new crafting tool or supply would you choose?
A Brother Scan and Cut, so I could have a die cut for ALL of my Repeat Impressions designs!
12. Tell us 3 of your most favorite Repeat Impressions’ designs.
1. 4221-K Deer Family Silhouette. 2. 2102-M Peace. 3. 2008-K Shepherd Boy.
13. Not including stamping, what’s your favorite pastime?
I guess I should say ‘reading a good book’, but good golly, I do SO love to kick on some great music and sing and dance while doing housework, or baking. I’m not good, but I have fun!!!
14. What’s on your perfect pizza?
I like any and all toppings, but I’m not your average pizza eater. After having weight loss surgery 15 months ago, I do a bite or two of crust, and then eat just the topping. Sophie, however, LOVES pizza night!
15. What’s your favorite ice-cream flavor?
Butter pecan or pecan praline…please don’t make me pick!!!
16. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
In May, I visited our daughter, who was still living in Germany. She and I, and the baby, hiked straight up this incredible path to an old castle ruins. I never thought at my age, that I’d be able to do something like that again. Being 115 pounds lighter definitely has freed me to try new things! Can I tell two??? Also, in April, my hubby and I took our first cruise (our 43 years later honeymoon we’d never had) and I zip lined for the first time ever, in Montego Bay!
17. Name 3 things on your “bucket list”.
1. Taking the ‘grands’ to Disneyworld. 2. Skydiving 3. Riding in a horsedrawn carriage on a beautiful, cold winter night with my sweetie (like in the Hallmark movies, right?).
18. If you could shop for free at one store, which one would you choose?
This is a tough one, because I seriously dislike having to shop at all. Friends say they would love a housekeeper. Me? I’d love a personal shopper! So…….as bad as I dread going into a Wal-Mart, I guess that would be my choice. We live in a rural area, and pretty much anything we need from milk to toilet paper has to come from there, so I may as well get it for free!
19. If you could take only 3 items with you to a deserted island, what would they be?
1. My Bible. 2. My soulmate! 3. A good book.
20. If someone made a movie of your life would it be a drama, a comedy, a romantic-comedy, action film, or science fiction? And who would play you in the movie of your life?
Without question, it would be a romantic-comedy. My part would be played by Cameron Diaz!
Many thanks to Patti for the wonderful card creation and for sharing her responses here with us. What fun! Now be sure to leave her some love here below in the comments for your chance at our $25 gift certificate! Then join us again on Wednesday for our next Rock Star Spotlight featuring Laurie Unger.
Thank you for visiting with us today. Hope your week is off to a great start!